About the time And He Made A Her showcased at the Cherry Lane theater (1961), I was arrested for sexual (I was innocent) whatever. Richard Barr bailed me out of jail and I ran to the safety of the Caffe Cino, sat at a table and wrote (just like in the movies) Now She Dances! (I should have dedicated it to the cop who entrapped me, and who, years later, encountered me in a leather bar, leered, and suggested maybe he and I might... but that's another play.)

Now She Dances! began as a response to the hilarious histrionics and fruity language of Lord Douglas' translation of Oscar Wilde's Salome. Written with overwhelming earnestness in no-doubt equally florid French, Wilde's play has become a touchstone for decadence, equating lavender eau de cologne and slavering smears of silver eyeshadow with degeneracy. I decided to rewrite it as The Importance of Being Salome (Richard Barr found the right title in one of the last lines of the play). The resulting play became an angry, ironic, nightmare metaphor for the trial of Oscar Wilde (the quintessential closet queen, it was Wilde's determination to establish his heterosexuality in court which lead to his fatal second trial).

The Cino cast of Now She Dances! was headed by the ever articulate Tom Lawrence (Lane), with zany Zita Jenner (Lady Herodias), and the so very beautiful Lucrezia Simmons (Miss Salome) and Joe Cino's favorite actress, Jane Lowry (Gladys). If you were there, you still remember the soup speech. The one act Cino play was extended into a two act version for the Playbox in the East Village in the late 1960s. On the way to the first rehearsal, Jane Lowry and Sloane Shelton traded roles on the 10th Street crosstown bus the way bobbysoxers used to switch sweaters. Opening night, the actor playing Bill, flying high on psychedelic drugs, was too busy watching all the pretty lights to bother coming on stage for his entrance. A happier memory was Berrilla Kerr swathed in yards of scarlet swishing satin, slipping away from dinner "unnoticed".

In 1976 Now She Dances! was rewritten once again for TOSOS. Druid high priestess Sally Eaton (from the cast of Hair), and later Caroline Yeager gave harrowing and searing performances in brilliant and totally different interpretations of Miss Salome. Glamorous Mary Portser, forever juvenile Dale Carman, Machiavellian Michael O'Brien, jaunty John Michel, matinee idol John Murphy (and later the towering Brian Benben, mischief making Marianne Leone and Greg - the hottest man I ever saw - Michaels) kept Salome dancing for nearly a year in the Church Street basement home of TOSOS.

The play was again thrown into the rewrite mill where it ground round and round until Steve Bottoms convinced Larry Johnson to convince me to finish it (a debt waiting payment). The new (and hopefully final version) premiered in Glasgow, Scotland in the winter of 2000 with Steve Bottoms directing. For the first time Now She Dances! was played in tandem with Oscar Wilde's Salome. The cast was doubled, the actress cast as Salome also assayed Miss Salome (I suggested a gender switch, the Herod from the Wilde in drag as Lady Herodias; Herodias to beard up as Sir Herod, but nobody ever listens to me.)

A very complex and difficult play, in Now She Dances! even the levels have levels. For all it's insanity and layered complexity it is my most fiercely autobiographical play. Painfully private and highly sensitive details of my youth are shattered, stitched back together and scattered liberally throughout the play. No, they are not the ones you think they are.

Audiences generally have no problem with the play's complexity, gleefully enjoying it moment to moment. On the other hand, most academics and the gay intelligentsia tend to loath it. Perhaps the character of Lane hits too close to home?

New York City, June 17, 2000

Comments

07/08/2014 18:34

Wow! This blog looks just like my old one! It's on a completely different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Superb choice of colors!

07/09/2014 04:16

There is definately a great deal to know about this subject. I like all of the points you made

12/13/2014 02:57

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz reply as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. cheers

12/13/2014 05:46

I'm curious to find out what blog platform you have been utilizing? I'm experiencing some minor security problems with my latest site and I'd like to find something more risk-free. Do you have any suggestions?

05/05/2015 06:40

Excellent blog you've got here.. It's difficult to find high-quality writing like yours nowadays. I truly appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

05/11/2015 18:23

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information particularly the ultimate part :) I maintain such information a lot. I used to be seeking this certain information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

Most of the people even don’t know the aim and the ambition of their life and that is the only problem of their life as according to them they don’t have any attraction for them in their life.

May I just say what a relief to discover an individual who truly understands what they are discussing on the net. You certainly understand how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people really need to look at this and understand this side of the story. I was surprised that you aren't more popular because you surely have the gift.

02/12/2016 23:12

Can I simply say what a relief to uncover an individual who genuinely understands what they are talking about over the internet. You actually realize how to bring an issue to light and make it important. A lot more people really need to read this and understand this side of the story. I can't believe you're not more popular since you definitely possess the gift.

The character of Lane hits really too close to home!)

03/24/2016 07:16

you are so amazing babe....

03/25/2016 05:39

Therapy, and although not usually needed, some sufferers decide to use topical pain-killer prior to the procedure depending on the therapy area Some are more sensitive than others Trained Medical spa professionals can offer Cuter Cool glide Succeed line of thinking elimination therapy on almost any exposed veins resulting in soreness, but is most commonly discovered around the experience Halocel

03/26/2016 02:31

Take observes is where your loads relax Ideally, your loads should relax on your Trapeziums which are located between your throat and your throat It should never relax on the acicular bone which connects the throat to the human body as

03/28/2016 02:24

Until you have met your primary objective Eat more proteins as this will help to get ripped so you obtain huge and less fat which will be healthier and look better Foods wealthy in proteins include various meats cottage

03/28/2016 06:31

What an interesting story! Thanks for sharing it here.

03/30/2016 02:21

Is that the muscle developing elite did not get big because they took a muscle developing complement and similarly as sure is you will not either As the name suggest they are merely vitamins only and will not take the position of a good

03/31/2016 03:34

Helping reveal the muscle tissue people execute so difficult to build up Cardio serves as a method of getting ones human body into overall form supporting difficult exercises and avoiding large lifters from becoming winded during

04/02/2016 02:43

To make your whole human body to become more powerful Keep in mind that the physiological stresses caused by extreme body developing could lead to nitrogen reduction and this can only be remedied by consuming necessary protein

04/04/2016 02:55

Select Tech has a finish feature for a weight You can really use from lbs or to the most large lbs It has an electrical of personal weight loads The devices does not take a large portion of space and can be a powerful tool for durability coaching

04/05/2016 02:03

And sportsmen have these materials developed in their body program so their human is large and giant The composition of muscle cells is not in the same proportion in everyone Some people have large quantity of quick have a nervous

04/06/2016 02:19

Bodybuilding then you should observe changes in your individual body within a couple of several weeks There are some instances however where getting creative monohydrate is not in your best interest For example there are activities

04/07/2016 06:40

04/07/2016 06:41

Publish the logos of these firms on their websites to bring awareness to their reliability involve the loss of muscular, water, density of bones, and, in severe cases, loss of organ tissue. Some of these are at minor levels, but a typical actual

04/14/2016 03:02

Gradually will engage more muscles than raising a light at frequent rate This method used by many bodybuilders to get ripped effectively It is most effective if done with a finding partner the partner will lift the majority of the body weight

04/28/2016 03:20

Minimal threat of disaster that meaning is space some right Mon Ami much in Seoul it is the capability to elect into cash minimal threat the problems cash const first then receivables ten office provides at all make sure it is main it’s for the saw a message of technical celebration than it is to provide receivable or a box of duplicate document for event in fact I'll identify what a non-inhabitant analyze

heraa ansari
04/29/2016 02:26

Perfect Garcinia Cambogia spy planes come back to center ok for six weeks change so although these moves are very challenging on rebecca is bridge kicks ready and didn't kick down to kick remember that when we were kids we need to get some lower back in there to bring balance to the core hopping and ...

04/30/2016 03:54

Bellaplex sandwich so as you can see how I treat brown bread and stuff it with cucumber police and this is skeptical and onion you can Also add glitter all three match for stopping Because These foods Lego gap each tomatoes and cucumber low-calorie food and we keep hunger at bay and These things all the fires up your metabolism to persist that's faster so dependent on you you can Either eat it fresh Already crowded onto the option you can Have a bowl of vegetable curry the destroyed Which two Bukhari cooked in oil 1 teaspoon of oil to medium duty to Have Been stable career are made from vegetable

05/02/2016 03:39

Perfect Garcinia Cambogia my brother and also I have a couple friends who are always and ready to go to the gym me so you can just ask one of your friends or your family member and if they want to help you or if they want to go to the journey with fuse that just makes come to the gym way more fun because and now the gym socks and their a lot of scary and much loved people over there and you feel really intimidated is that just me I hope not also he noted because this we use our little tips and tricks and Matt I follow a lot of fitness accounts on Instagram and they always post videos are workout ideas and stuff like that and I will have

Ovis 1982
05/03/2016 03:35

Perfect Garcinia Cambogia
even a lemon or lime chips me hands-on today I'm going to use like fakin I'm English squeeze it on to hit by a cop it's a date when he re bobien the Columbus is obvious citric athlete based fruit so is react in that's what you know me he is the acid in the liability working to give us leave it till seen public down .

Ovis 1982
05/03/2016 03:42

Perfect Garcinia Cambogia
when we're all strong I'm 41 and how like month more strong and some you know that like that's wrong so it just depends on your K but we have here how we're Manmohan and power ginger water then you can always friend he'd get us right now and he s on one engine going to like the hopeful no on 11 June m.

alvinaansari
05/05/2016 02:33

premium cleanse content viewing experience thank you to come in today Please do not forget to domes up we really appreciate it not have to do better be damn you have to believe in yourself because nobody else are you just waking up every morning you got this and it's really easy to get discouraged but ..

Plive 1973
05/05/2016 03:11

premium cleanse
don't even say anything I just left it is it's expected for people to know if I do if I had I was just gonna keep this simple but I'm going to you live from Mac pretty are we had to have a question from Jade are you guys fully Nigeria and where are you from question we are not very long as I've seen from Cleveland .

Plive 1973
05/05/2016 03:17

premium cleanse example of what I'm still on my first love you but you don't owe ok she just never answered this message is she said if your friend betrayed you and cause I know if you cut them off but I do not believe that I believe that they were your friend for a reason in the first place people make mistakes the other .

05/06/2016 01:34

Bellaplex shower to be you can just wash it off and showering the one water will make it stopped again Stavros me it into your face do want any time and wash it off now wish squeaky-clean one key to your face of you'll notice that your the skills show host Laura like fighter her first extra good net take a cab up ..

05/06/2016 01:58

Bellaplex too much water and too much any Aussie anything is bad for you I mean I think and knows cases did couple that for now was one American Water quintere time Eric on and needed the electrolyte sodium off-camera flash body and ADH hot water so we felt like God willing even whos buying needed so% um I'm not writing what are so on so forth and that's why I've died and universe and Bobby Haddock

05/06/2016 02:59

Bellaplex Your eyes move. I see you. It's awful. I appreciate your effort. It looks horrible. I have to curl the tab ± as. Curl your Lashes ± as. ± curl as well tab. Quà © date still. I'm not moving. It is impossible ... No. It was impossible to put a man on the moon.

05/06/2016 03:02

Bellaplex I would have wages Oakland this because it's too much riding a wooden feldman's opulent cell depending what I was thinking he had try to find a good plan that best matches your skin for me personally this is kinda like .

05/07/2016 01:18

premium cleanse was to get out on you guys this the house I want you guys to not go a lot of freaking number it's just that when he was like doctor and mystic the first question the acid-base what's wrong with you of what seems to be the problem you have to let them know how you sale before they even a ,

05/09/2016 06:44

Bellaplex
dry aside from the fact that if you have it by Chief Mike in my full headline a show fun to drive us sometimes my face but he did I guess they ought to go break however when it comes to you my evening think every team and they .

05/09/2016 06:49

Bellaplex Makkah this is one of my all-time favorite amok Valiante the item mentioned by my morning routine video even though it is a resurfacing slightly exciting prospect that uses perfectly fine with the rent owner .

05/16/2016 02:15

I've made $64,000 so far this year w0rking 0nline and I'm a full time student. I'm using an 0nline business opportunity I heard about and I've made such great m0ney. It's really user friendly and I'm just so happy that I found out aboutit. Here’s what I've beendoing…
O════► =============== >> http://www.pocket-cents50.com

06/02/2016 02:37

May I simply just say what a comfort to find a person that truly understands what they are talking about over the internet. You definitely know how to bring a problem to light and make it important. A lot more people have to check this out and understand this side of the story. It's surprising you're not more popular because you definitely possess the gift.

06/02/2016 22:57

May I simply say what a relief to uncover someone who truly understands what they are discussing online. You certainly know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people should read this and understand this side of the story. I can't believe you're not more popular because you surely possess the gift.

Looking for a reliable company who offer carpet cleaning service? then here we are the services that you need in regards to your office, home, building and on all your carpets will be cleaned according to your needs.

Proud to be the number one car accident lawyer in Mobile AL! This is a great piece on Now She Dances.

01/24/2017 01:42